Could never afford blanket when alive, got one after death
Jalandhar: In an irony of fate, the migrant labourers who died in a blanket factory collapse here got at least one quilt after their death, a luxury which they could not afford in their lifetime.
The three-storey factory building had collapsed at around midnight on April 15 in Focal Point area. At least 23 bodies have been pulled out from the debris, while 62 people have been rescued so far.
An official engaged in the rescue operation said with blankets falling all over from the concrete, which is being pulled down for the past few days for digging out survivors and the dead ones, they are being used to wrap their bodies.
The labourers who make the expensive mink blankets which cost between Rs 1,000-Rs 7,000, sleep on the floor without mattresses, let alone relish the warmth of a cosy blanket, he said.
Ramdev, whose son Pankaj Kumar got crushed under the debris, said, "My son spent his entire life making blankets but we could never afford one...At least, he got one after his death."
Some of the injured extracted from the rubble also managed to get the blankets while being taken to hospitals.
"Most of the bodies are mutilated as they were crushed under tonnes of concrete. The bodies are being wrapped in blankets to prevent mental trauma to the deceased`s relatives. There is every possibility that after seeing the mutilated bodies, the relatives may turn aggressive," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3