Court acquits 14 accused in attempt to murder case in Punjab
Sangrur: A local court on Monday acquitted all 14 accused in a case pertaining to the 2007 attack on Dera Sacha Sauda sect`s prayer home in the district.
They were accused of attacking the prayer home at Cheema Road in Sunam on May 17, 2007 where a youth was killed and many others were injured in a clash between Sikh activists and Sacha Sauda followers.
Additional Sessions Judge Varinder Aggarwal gave them the benefit of doubt while acquitting them.
A mob armed with swords and axes had tried to barge inside the prayer home despite police resistance.
The boundary wall of prayer home was damaged and an attempt was also made to set it on fire.
In the melee, one of the injured Karamjit Singh, succumbed to his injuries at Sunam civil hospital.
The accused were charged under offences of murder, attempt to murder and other sections of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket