Court acquits 14 accused in attempt to murder case in Punjab
Sangrur: A local court on Monday acquitted all 14 accused in a case pertaining to the 2007 attack on Dera Sacha Sauda sect`s prayer home in the district.
They were accused of attacking the prayer home at Cheema Road in Sunam on May 17, 2007 where a youth was killed and many others were injured in a clash between Sikh activists and Sacha Sauda followers.
Additional Sessions Judge Varinder Aggarwal gave them the benefit of doubt while acquitting them.
A mob armed with swords and axes had tried to barge inside the prayer home despite police resistance.
The boundary wall of prayer home was damaged and an attempt was also made to set it on fire.
In the melee, one of the injured Karamjit Singh, succumbed to his injuries at Sunam civil hospital.
The accused were charged under offences of murder, attempt to murder and other sections of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what