Court acquits 14 accused in attempt to murder case in Punjab
Sangrur: A local court on Monday acquitted all 14 accused in a case pertaining to the 2007 attack on Dera Sacha Sauda sect`s prayer home in the district.
They were accused of attacking the prayer home at Cheema Road in Sunam on May 17, 2007 where a youth was killed and many others were injured in a clash between Sikh activists and Sacha Sauda followers.
Additional Sessions Judge Varinder Aggarwal gave them the benefit of doubt while acquitting them.
A mob armed with swords and axes had tried to barge inside the prayer home despite police resistance.
The boundary wall of prayer home was damaged and an attempt was also made to set it on fire.
In the melee, one of the injured Karamjit Singh, succumbed to his injuries at Sunam civil hospital.
The accused were charged under offences of murder, attempt to murder and other sections of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31