Curfew relaxed in Gurdaspur
Gurdaspur: Curfew was relaxed twice on Sunday in the town as there were no reports of any untoward incident.
Local residents did brisk buying from 5 AM to 1 PM during
the curfew relaxation period. No Ram Navami yatra, however,
was allowed during this period.
The Pathankot district magistrate, who has been given
additional charge of Gurdaspur district, said the curfew was
again relaxed from 5 PM to 8 PM keeping in view normalcy
returning to the town.
While police and paramilitary continued patrolling in
Hanuman Chowk, Mian Mistri Gurdwara and Bata Chowk areas, few
devotees ventured out to visit temples as people remained
scared after the firing on March 29 by police due to
heightened tension between two communities.
Punjab ADGP (Law and Order) SK Sharma said no untoward
incident had taken place during the curfew relaxation period.
The first priority of police and district administration
is to maintain peace and harmony in the city. Those booked for
violence during the Punjab bandh will be firmly dealt with, he
Meanwhile, Pathankot SSP Surinder Kumar has been given
additional charge of Gurdaspur after Gurdaspur SSP Varinder
Pal Singh and DSP Manpreet Singh were placed under suspension
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened