Curfew relaxed in Gurdaspur
Gurdaspur: Curfew was relaxed twice on Sunday in the town as there were no reports of any untoward incident.
Local residents did brisk buying from 5 AM to 1 PM during
the curfew relaxation period. No Ram Navami yatra, however,
was allowed during this period.
The Pathankot district magistrate, who has been given
additional charge of Gurdaspur district, said the curfew was
again relaxed from 5 PM to 8 PM keeping in view normalcy
returning to the town.
While police and paramilitary continued patrolling in
Hanuman Chowk, Mian Mistri Gurdwara and Bata Chowk areas, few
devotees ventured out to visit temples as people remained
scared after the firing on March 29 by police due to
heightened tension between two communities.
Punjab ADGP (Law and Order) SK Sharma said no untoward
incident had taken place during the curfew relaxation period.
The first priority of police and district administration
is to maintain peace and harmony in the city. Those booked for
violence during the Punjab bandh will be firmly dealt with, he
Meanwhile, Pathankot SSP Surinder Kumar has been given
additional charge of Gurdaspur after Gurdaspur SSP Varinder
Pal Singh and DSP Manpreet Singh were placed under suspension
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16