Dalits held in Kuwait, Punjab seeks Centre`s help
Chandigarh: The Punjab State Commission for
Scheduled Castes on Thursday sought the Centre`s intervention for
the release of 30 dalit youths detained in Kuwait.
"We have requested the National Commission for Scheduled
Castes to issue a direction to the Ministry of External
Affairs for putting diplomatic pressure on Kuwait for the
release of the youths," the state commission chairman Rajesh
Bagha said here.
The youths, in a group of 60, had migrated to Kuwait on a
two-year work permit through different travel agents in the
state. A Kuwait-based construction company had hired these
youth in April 2009 for two years and had taken their
passports into its possession.
As their contract expired in April 2011, the entire group
was detained. The company has been demanding money for the
deportation, the family members alleged.
The State Commission will also approach Union External
Affairs Minister S M Krishna, Bagha said.
The youths belong to poor backgrounds and their families
are anxiously awaiting their release, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview