Dasuya result `last nail in the coffin` of Cong: Sukhbir
Jalandhar: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Saturday termed the Dasuya by-poll result as the "last nail in the coffin" of Congress in the state.
Claiming that the result was an endorsement to the "pro-people" policies of SAD-BJP government, Sukhbir termed the bypoll as a "trailer" of the 2014 Lok Sabha elections when the SAD-BJP would clinch all 13 parliamentary seats in Punjab.
Thanking the voters for reinstating their faith in the alliance by electing its candidate with a record margin, Badal in a statement said the result showed that the Congress was decimated in Punjab.
"It was Captain Amarinder Singh, who declared Dasuya by-election as referendum on SAD-BJP policies and people of Dasuya have given a befitting reply to him," the Shiromani Akali Dal president asserted.
BJP`s Sukhjit Kaur Sahi, wife of late BJP MLA Amarjit Singh Sahi, defeated her nearest Congress rival Micky Dogra in the Dasuya by-election by a record margin of 47432 votes in the results declared today.
The election was necessitated due to the sudden demise of Amarjit Singh Sah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror