Deaf and dumb Pak prisoner dies of tuberculosis
Amritsar: A deaf and dumb Pakistani prisoner, who was lodged in the Amritsar Central Jail, has died of tuberculosis, a top prison official said here Wednesday.
The 28-year-old Pakistani prisoner, who was admitted to a government hospital on September 29, succumbed to the disease a day later, Jail Superintendent R K Sharma said.
The Pak national, a chronic patient of tuberculosis, was arrested from Ferozepur border area on September 20 in 2007 for entering India without passport and visa, Sharma said.
At the time of his arrest, he was found mentally unstable, the Jail Superintendent said adding his name could not be known as he was deaf and dumb.
The information about his death had been conveyed to the External Affairs ministry and a reply was awaited, the Sharma said.
"After getting directions, his last rites may be performed here according to Muslim traditions or the body may be handed over to Pakistan," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Jio test uses commercial airwaves, but no revenue to govt: COAI
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 1st Test, Day 4: Play abandoned again in Durban
- RBL Bank's IPO oversubscribed 3 times on Day 2
- GST promises to boost GDP growth rates by up to 2%: President
- Vodafone to start e-KYC from Aug 24 for instant SIM activation