Deaf and dumb Pak prisoner dies of tuberculosis
Amritsar: A deaf and dumb Pakistani prisoner, who was lodged in the Amritsar Central Jail, has died of tuberculosis, a top prison official said here Wednesday.
The 28-year-old Pakistani prisoner, who was admitted to a government hospital on September 29, succumbed to the disease a day later, Jail Superintendent R K Sharma said.
The Pak national, a chronic patient of tuberculosis, was arrested from Ferozepur border area on September 20 in 2007 for entering India without passport and visa, Sharma said.
At the time of his arrest, he was found mentally unstable, the Jail Superintendent said adding his name could not be known as he was deaf and dumb.
The information about his death had been conveyed to the External Affairs ministry and a reply was awaited, the Sharma said.
"After getting directions, his last rites may be performed here according to Muslim traditions or the body may be handed over to Pakistan," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH