Deaf and dumb Pak prisoner dies of tuberculosis
Amritsar: A deaf and dumb Pakistani prisoner, who was lodged in the Amritsar Central Jail, has died of tuberculosis, a top prison official said here Wednesday.
The 28-year-old Pakistani prisoner, who was admitted to a government hospital on September 29, succumbed to the disease a day later, Jail Superintendent R K Sharma said.
The Pak national, a chronic patient of tuberculosis, was arrested from Ferozepur border area on September 20 in 2007 for entering India without passport and visa, Sharma said.
At the time of his arrest, he was found mentally unstable, the Jail Superintendent said adding his name could not be known as he was deaf and dumb.
The information about his death had been conveyed to the External Affairs ministry and a reply was awaited, the Sharma said.
"After getting directions, his last rites may be performed here according to Muslim traditions or the body may be handed over to Pakistan," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...