Deaf and dumb Pak prisoner dies of tuberculosis
Amritsar: A deaf and dumb Pakistani prisoner, who was lodged in the Amritsar Central Jail, has died of tuberculosis, a top prison official said here Wednesday.
The 28-year-old Pakistani prisoner, who was admitted to a government hospital on September 29, succumbed to the disease a day later, Jail Superintendent R K Sharma said.
The Pak national, a chronic patient of tuberculosis, was arrested from Ferozepur border area on September 20 in 2007 for entering India without passport and visa, Sharma said.
At the time of his arrest, he was found mentally unstable, the Jail Superintendent said adding his name could not be known as he was deaf and dumb.
The information about his death had been conveyed to the External Affairs ministry and a reply was awaited, the Sharma said.
"After getting directions, his last rites may be performed here according to Muslim traditions or the body may be handed over to Pakistan," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport