Death of union leader sparks tension, prohibitory orders in Ambala
Ambala (Pb): A trade union leader on Wednesday died after being hit by a bus he was trying to stop from plying as part of a two-day nationwide strike called by central trade unions, sparking tension in the district where authorities have imposed prohibitory orders.
55-year-old Narendra Singh, who was squatting along with a group of workers near the local bus depot, died when he was hit by the bus, a senior Roadways official said here.
Ambala Deputy Commissioner Shekhar Vidyarthi said initial official investigations have revealed that the death was a "case of accident".
However, on the demand of the Roadways employees, the incident would be thoroughly investigated and necessary action would be taken, Vidyarthi said.
Section 144 has been imposed in the district and heavy police force deployed at the bus depot and its surrounding areas after the workers pelted stones at a police station and damaged vehicles belonging to Ambala`s Deputy Commissioner of Police and a local SHO parked in the bus depot.
Narrating the sequence of events, Vidyarthi said, "Narender Singh was standing outside the workshop, on the other side of the driver`s seat.
"As a bus suddenly came out of the gate of the workshop, he ran towards the bus, collided with it and a pillar being behind him, he fell down. He was immediately rushed to the Civil Hospital by the officers where he was declared as dead".
District president, Haryana Roadways Workers Union`s, Inder Singh Bhadana demanded that a case to be lodged against the General Manager of the Roadways, failing which union leaders will not allow the body to be cremated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp