Death of union leader sparks tension, prohibitory orders in Ambala
Ambala (Pb): A trade union leader on Wednesday died after being hit by a bus he was trying to stop from plying as part of a two-day nationwide strike called by central trade unions, sparking tension in the district where authorities have imposed prohibitory orders.
55-year-old Narendra Singh, who was squatting along with a group of workers near the local bus depot, died when he was hit by the bus, a senior Roadways official said here.
Ambala Deputy Commissioner Shekhar Vidyarthi said initial official investigations have revealed that the death was a "case of accident".
However, on the demand of the Roadways employees, the incident would be thoroughly investigated and necessary action would be taken, Vidyarthi said.
Section 144 has been imposed in the district and heavy police force deployed at the bus depot and its surrounding areas after the workers pelted stones at a police station and damaged vehicles belonging to Ambala`s Deputy Commissioner of Police and a local SHO parked in the bus depot.
Narrating the sequence of events, Vidyarthi said, "Narender Singh was standing outside the workshop, on the other side of the driver`s seat.
"As a bus suddenly came out of the gate of the workshop, he ran towards the bus, collided with it and a pillar being behind him, he fell down. He was immediately rushed to the Civil Hospital by the officers where he was declared as dead".
District president, Haryana Roadways Workers Union`s, Inder Singh Bhadana demanded that a case to be lodged against the General Manager of the Roadways, failing which union leaders will not allow the body to be cremated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister