Death warrant of Beant Singh`s assassin returned
Patiala: The superintendent of police in charge of the jail in Patiala, Punjab, has returned the death warrant of Balwant Singh Rajoana, one of the assassins of former Punjab chief minister Beant Singh, to an additional session court in Chandigarh, citing legal weaknesses.
Police has claimed that Rajoana`s execution is not within the jurisdiction of Punjab.
Rajoana was convicted for killing Beant Singh and 17 others in August 1995.
He was due to be hanged on March 31.
Beant Singh, 73, was assassinated in Chandigarh on August 31, 1995. He was a Congress politician and Punjab chief minister from 1992 to 1995.
Born in a village in present day Pakistan, he migrated to India and settled down in village Bilaspur in Ludhiana District. Thereafter, he moved to Village Kotli in District Ludhiana . He was also the sarpanch of Bilaspur. He was with the army for two years before opting out to do social work and join politics.
He played a significant role in ending militancy in Punjab with the help of the Punjab Police, which was then led by KPS Gill.
Beant Singh was assassinated through a bomb explosion by militants as he was entering the Punjab Secretariat complex in Chandigarh on August 31, 1995.
The blast claimed the lives of 14 others, including the lives of three of the nation``s most experienced commandos.
During his time as chief minister, over 50,000 Sikhs, including youth, men, women and children were killed.
On Friday, Akal Takht Jathedar, Gyani Gurbachan Singh, urged Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal and Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandak Committee (SGPC) president Avtar Singh Makkar to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and President Pratibha Devi Singh Patil to save the life of Rajoana.
Gyani Gurbachan Singh met over 250 Sikh leaders to ascertain their views on the issue. After the meeting, the Jathedar issued the direction.
He described Rajoana as an asset of the Sikh community,” and it was the duty and accountability of SAD patron Parkash Singh Badal, SAD president Sukhbir Badal and SGPC chief to meet the Prime Minister and the President on priority basis to save his life.
The Jathedar described Rajoana as a “Sikh warrior” who had “raised his voice and acted against atrocities” on Sikh community. Rajoana was declared a “living martyr” for the Sikh community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh