Declare Moga Assembly as sensitive: Amarinder to EC
Moga: Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh on Saturday said Election Commission should declare entire Moga constituency, where by-poll is scheduled for February 23, as sensitive and deploy central forces at all polling booths.
Voters in Moga are apprehending threats from the ruling party to vote in favour of SAD candidate Joginderpal Jain, he alleged while addressing series of rallies in favour of party nominee Vijay Kumar Sathi.
He urged Election Commission to send more paramilitary forces to be deployed in Moga.
Paramilitary forces yesterday staged a flag march in several areas of the constituency to instill confidence among the electorates.
The district administration had declared 47 polling booths as sensitive, 27 booths as hyper-sensitive and 19 as non-sensitive out of 93 polling booths in the constituency.
The sensitive and hyper-sensitive booths would be put under the supervision of paramilitary forces, officials said.
He alleged the ruling party workers even warned people of consequences if they did not support SAD candidate Joginderpal Jain who is seeking re-election by switching sides.
With top leaders from ruling SAD and opposition Congress making all out efforts, the campaigning has reached a feverish pitch.
The Punjab Congress has put up a united front, and it appears the bypoll would not be a cakewalk for the Akali candidate as is being predicted by SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal, political pundits said.
Political warhorses from both the camps, including Amarinder Singh, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Sukhbir and CLP leader Sunil Kumar Jakhar are campaigning in the constituency and seeking votes for their party nominees.
A strong under current prevailed to teach SAD nominee Joginder Pal Jain a lesson for "betraying the electorates" who elected him twice from Congress and defeated former Director General Police P S Gill who contested on SAD ticket during February 2012 election.
Earlier in 2002, Jain had defeated Akali stalwart Tota Singh.
In December last, Jain, had returned to Shiromani Akali Dal after spending about seven years in the Congress.
The seat is set to witness a triangular contest as Jain is pitted against Sathi of Congress and Ravinder Singh Dhaliwal of Sanjha Morcha among seven other candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced