Discontinuation of flights a blow to Punjab economy: Badal
Dagru: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Wednesday alleged discontinuation of international flights from Amritsar and their diversion to Delhi was a deliberate attempt on part of the Union government to make the Indira Gandhi airport a profitable venture.
This reflected the step-motherly treatment meted out by the Central government to Punjab, he said on the sidelines of a function here in Moga district.
The Amritsar international airport was incurring heavy losses following discontinuation of flights to Toronto, he said.
"It is a deliberate attempt on part of the Centre to make the Indira Gandhi international airport in the national capital a profitable venture at the cost of Sri Guru Ram Dass international airport in Amritsar," Badal said.
The Amritsar airport had a tremendous potential for earning a huge revenue as the city was a tourist hub, he said.
"Lakhs of devotees from across the world visit the holy city to offers prayers at the Golden Temple shrine," Badal said.
"The sole aim behind all such gimmicks is to give a severe blow to the economy of the state which is not at all acceptable," the Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried