Discontinuation of flights a blow to Punjab economy: Badal
Dagru: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Wednesday alleged discontinuation of international flights from Amritsar and their diversion to Delhi was a deliberate attempt on part of the Union government to make the Indira Gandhi airport a profitable venture.
This reflected the step-motherly treatment meted out by the Central government to Punjab, he said on the sidelines of a function here in Moga district.
The Amritsar international airport was incurring heavy losses following discontinuation of flights to Toronto, he said.
"It is a deliberate attempt on part of the Centre to make the Indira Gandhi international airport in the national capital a profitable venture at the cost of Sri Guru Ram Dass international airport in Amritsar," Badal said.
The Amritsar airport had a tremendous potential for earning a huge revenue as the city was a tourist hub, he said.
"Lakhs of devotees from across the world visit the holy city to offers prayers at the Golden Temple shrine," Badal said.
"The sole aim behind all such gimmicks is to give a severe blow to the economy of the state which is not at all acceptable," the Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video