Discontinuation of flights a blow to Punjab economy: Badal
Dagru: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Wednesday alleged discontinuation of international flights from Amritsar and their diversion to Delhi was a deliberate attempt on part of the Union government to make the Indira Gandhi airport a profitable venture.
This reflected the step-motherly treatment meted out by the Central government to Punjab, he said on the sidelines of a function here in Moga district.
The Amritsar international airport was incurring heavy losses following discontinuation of flights to Toronto, he said.
"It is a deliberate attempt on part of the Centre to make the Indira Gandhi international airport in the national capital a profitable venture at the cost of Sri Guru Ram Dass international airport in Amritsar," Badal said.
The Amritsar airport had a tremendous potential for earning a huge revenue as the city was a tourist hub, he said.
"Lakhs of devotees from across the world visit the holy city to offers prayers at the Golden Temple shrine," Badal said.
"The sole aim behind all such gimmicks is to give a severe blow to the economy of the state which is not at all acceptable," the Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule