Don`t stop memorial work: Dal Khalsa
Amritsar: Radical Sikh organization Dal Khalsa on Saturday took exception to the Central government`s move to invoke the law prohibiting misuse of religious sites to stop construction work on a memorial being built inside the Golden Temple complex here.
Dal Khalsa chief HS Dhami and spokesman Kanwar Pal Singh said the Central government "should desist from adding fuel to fire".
The memorial, allowed to be built by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) following consistent pressure from Sikh radicals in the past 28 years, is being built to honour those killed in the Army`s Operation Bluestar in June 1984.
The memorial is being criticized by a number of people.
The Dal Khalsa leaders said that the central government should refrain from meddling in the internal affairs of the Sikh religion.
Punjab saw a bloody phase of terrorism between 1981 to 1992, leaving over 25,000 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back