Dope test of Punjab politicians!
Chandigarh: Should politicians be put under the scanner of dope test? This query certainly carries a serious exclamation mark and a big "what" followed by a "why”. But this question seems pertinent in context of Punjab. The issue has been raised by the former Director General of Prisons, Shashikant.
Punjab, a state fighting the demon of drugs, has a massive anti-drug campaign in place. And given the seriousness of the problem, one more effort in this direction, would not have made headlines. But Shashikant`s exclusive interview with Zee Punjab Haryana Himachal channel has created ripples in the corridors of power and a furore amongst the politicians.
According to him politicians should undergo dope test, as there are an alarming number of politicians who are prey to drugs.
Government has been making all efforts to deal with the issue and in the process drug mafias, Raja Kandola and Jagdish Bhola, who are notorious names, were arrested.
In fighting this menace, Shashikant`s is concerned with the credibility of anti-drug campaigns run by the government, of which ministers are the integral part.
Thus, the former DG Prisons wants that the hair and urine sample of MLAs and MPs of Punjab government should be taken for the purpose of dope test. To take the matter further, he has decided to appeal to the High Court.
Reacting on the issue, Punjab Chief Minister, Prakash Singh Badal, denounced the allegations made by Shashikant and said that the state government is very serious in tackling the menace and is doing everything that it can.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with India's first NBA player Satnam Singh
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra