Dope test of Punjab politicians!
Chandigarh: Should politicians be put under the scanner of dope test? This query certainly carries a serious exclamation mark and a big "what" followed by a "why”. But this question seems pertinent in context of Punjab. The issue has been raised by the former Director General of Prisons, Shashikant.
Punjab, a state fighting the demon of drugs, has a massive anti-drug campaign in place. And given the seriousness of the problem, one more effort in this direction, would not have made headlines. But Shashikant`s exclusive interview with Zee Punjab Haryana Himachal channel has created ripples in the corridors of power and a furore amongst the politicians.
According to him politicians should undergo dope test, as there are an alarming number of politicians who are prey to drugs.
Government has been making all efforts to deal with the issue and in the process drug mafias, Raja Kandola and Jagdish Bhola, who are notorious names, were arrested.
In fighting this menace, Shashikant`s is concerned with the credibility of anti-drug campaigns run by the government, of which ministers are the integral part.
Thus, the former DG Prisons wants that the hair and urine sample of MLAs and MPs of Punjab government should be taken for the purpose of dope test. To take the matter further, he has decided to appeal to the High Court.
Reacting on the issue, Punjab Chief Minister, Prakash Singh Badal, denounced the allegations made by Shashikant and said that the state government is very serious in tackling the menace and is doing everything that it can.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit