Draping of statues reaches poll-bound Punjab
Amritsar: Toeing a line similar to Uttar
Pradesh, the Election Commission has directed the city administration to cover the statue of former SAD MLA late Raminder Singh Bularia before the polls here.
The move was initiated by the EC in wake of a complaint
lodged by the Congress party.
The district administration here has carried out the orders as per EC directives.
In a sharp criticism of the Congress complaint, Bularia`s son and SAD Candidate Amritsar South seat Inderbir Singh Bularia said, "the statue is a token of appreciation on the part of Punjab government for the development carried out by my father in the assembly segment".
Terming the move as an act of frustration by the
Congress, he said, "there are many statues of martyrs and
politicians in Punjab and someone should tell me that how many
have been draped during the poll process".
The polling for the 117 assembly seats of Punjab is
scheduled on January 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition