Draping of statues reaches poll-bound Punjab
Amritsar: Toeing a line similar to Uttar
Pradesh, the Election Commission has directed the city administration to cover the statue of former SAD MLA late Raminder Singh Bularia before the polls here.
The move was initiated by the EC in wake of a complaint
lodged by the Congress party.
The district administration here has carried out the orders as per EC directives.
In a sharp criticism of the Congress complaint, Bularia`s son and SAD Candidate Amritsar South seat Inderbir Singh Bularia said, "the statue is a token of appreciation on the part of Punjab government for the development carried out by my father in the assembly segment".
Terming the move as an act of frustration by the
Congress, he said, "there are many statues of martyrs and
politicians in Punjab and someone should tell me that how many
have been draped during the poll process".
The polling for the 117 assembly seats of Punjab is
scheduled on January 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Tamil Nadu Budget 2016-17: All you need to know
- Need mix of fiscal, monetary policies to deal with Brexit: FM Jaitley
- Rio Olympics 2016: CAS rejects Russia appeal, bars athletes from mega event
- This manatee is interested in paddleboarding – Watch video!
- Oscar Pistorius: Prosecutors seek longer sentence for tainted Paralympian