Drug haul case: Police arrest Bhola`s close aide
Fatehgarh Sahib: Punjab police on Tuesday arrested an international drug smuggler and dismissed DSP Jagdish Singh Bhola`s close aide Devinder Singh in connection with the drug haul case in which the name of Olympic medallist and renowned pugilist Vijender Singh had cropped up.
They recovered 8.5 kg ephedrine, a chemical used for preparing heroin, worth Rs 8.50 crore from him.
During checking on Chandigarh road police intercepted the Devinder Singh`s white-colour MUV, Fatehgarh Sahib SSP, H S Mann told reporters today.
When it was searched, they recovered the ephedrine. The chemical was concealed in a plastic bag, he informed.
Two driving licenses were also recovered from him and one was found to be fake. The genuine license was issued by District Transport Office Bathinda and his date of birth was mentioned as August 3, 1986, SSP added.
He is the resident of Thermal Colony, Lehra Mohabat, Bathinda.
A case under various sections of the IPC and under the provisions of the NDPS Act was registered against the accused at Fatehgarh Sahib police station today.
The SSP said Devinder Singh during interrogation confessed that he had close relations with NRI Anoop Singh Kahlon, Jagdish Singh Bhola and Sarabjit Singh and he was involved in drug trafficking and hawala with them.
According to the SSP, the MUV recovered from Devinder Singh belongs to Sarabjit Singh on whose instance he was on way to deliver the consignment of ephedrine.
Further investigations were under progress, he said.
Devinder Singh is the 17th accused to be arrested following recovery of 26 kgs of heroin worth over Rs 100 crore from the house of a Canada-based NRI Anoop Singh Kahlon at Zirakpur in Mohali on March 3.
The others arrested include Bhindranwale Tigers Force (BTF) terrorist Kulbir Singh Assandh, another NRI Kulwant Singh, Kahlon`s driver Kulwinder Singh alias Rockey, Kuldip Singh (father of Rockey) and a retired DSP of UP Police Kirpal Singh (arrested from Meerut) besides Vijender`s sparring partner boxer Ram Singh.
The case has also been in limelight over alleged links of Olympic medallist boxer Vijender Singh with Kahlon.
Punjab Police had on March 31 said that Singh had consumed heroin 12 times after procuring it from alleged drug smugglers including Kahlon. They however, said that the boxer was not involved in the smuggling of narcotics.
Vijender has denied any involvement in the drugs racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India