Drug haul recovery to the tune of Rs 484 cr: Punjab Police
Chandigarh: Punjab Police on Sunday claimed that the value of drugs seized from alleged NRI narcotics dealer Anoop Singh Kahlon`s house was to the tune of Rs 484 crore.
Citing the figure given by Kahlon and Kulwant Singh, who were arrested by Fatehgarh Sahib police in the heroin seizure case, police said the wholesale price of the seized drug in the international market was Rs 121 crore and its retail price was approximately Rs 484 crore.
In recent months, Olympic medallist Vijender Singh and Kahlon alias Ruby, the alleged Canada-based NRI drug dealer who was arrested by police on March 3 in connection with the seizure of 26 kg heroin, had spoken with each other "about 80 times" on their respective cell phones, police said.
A spokesperson of Punjab Police informed that the source of pseudophedrine being smuggled out was the pharmaceutical factory at Meerut being run by a retired DSP of UP Police Kirpal Singh, arrested earlier, and his son Anuj, who is absconding.
The source of heroin was from across the border (Afghanistan-Pakistan), procurement of which was done by the gang king pin and dismissed DSP Jagdish Bhola, who is absconding.
The drugs (heroin, ice and pseudophedrine) were being sent by this group of smugglers to the UK, Canada and Holland.
Consignments were being sent both through air cargo from Delhi and by ship from Mumbai, which was organized by NRI Kulwant Singh and Paramjit Singh (both arrested).
In the UK, the consignments were being received by Latif, a person of Pakistan origin settled in the UK, who is an associate of Kulwant Singh, a UK citizen, at Canada by the father-in-law of Kulwant Singh, Nirankar Singh Dhillon, resident of Toronto and in Holland by Sam and Garry, both of Punjabi origin, but settled in Holland and who are associates of Manpreet Mani, a Canadian national arrested earlier.
Five Chinese associates had visited Chandigarh for quality check of ice and pseudophedrine, in 2010. Their identities have been established and further action is being taken, they said.
As per the spokesperson 15 persons including two Canadians and one British national have been arrested so far in this case, whereas more than 25 other persons in the network are absconding.
Police parties have been dispatched to UP, Delhi and Mumbai apart from several places in Punjab for further investigation and to apprehend the absconders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference