Drugs worth Rs 694 Cr seized in Punjab
Chandigarh: Punjab police have seized narcotic drugs, including liquor, worth Rs 694 crore, since the Model Code of Conduct came into effect for the April 30 Lok Sabha polls.
B Purushartha, Punjab`s Additional CEO today said the majority of the drug haul had been made along Indo-Pak border in the state. The drugs recovered included poppy husk (14,823 kg), opiun (76.2 kg), heroin (136 kg), ganja (47 kg), illicit liquor (2,15,569 ltrs) and country made liquor (2,73,480 bottles), he said.
Earlier, Punjab CEO V K Singh today launched an android application `ivote` designed with an aim to provide complete voting solutions in mobile.
`ivote` a user friendly application, which could be downloaded from `google play store` would provide various election related utility features like finding directions to the one`s polling booth, information about affidavits submitted by contesting candidates, a comprehensive Model Code of Conduct for ready reference and an easy complaint submission mechanism, Singh said.
He said that before launching it, a full bench of ECI had approved the application after watching its detailed presentation.
Keeping in view the rapid increase in mobile internet users, it becomes imperative to take such techno-friendly initiative for the electorate, especially for encouraging young or the first time voters, Singh said.
He said that 9 lakh new voters have been enrolled since the imposition of Model Code of Conduct on March 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate