EC notice to SAD for violating MCC
Chandigarh: The Election Commission has slapped a notice on Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) in Punjab for organising a political rally at Anandpur Sahib on the occasion of `Hola Mohalla` in violation of its orders.
"The ECI had sent a notice to SAD secretary Daljeet Singh Cheema seeking reply why it had organised a political rally at Anandpur Sahib when permission to hold the same was denied by the poll body," Punjab`s Additional Chief Electoral Officer (ACEO) Supreet Singh Gulati said today.
The main opposition in Punjab, Congress had complained to the EC that the ruling SAD had organised a political rally at Anandpur Sahib on the occasion of annual `Hola Mohalla` fair in violation of the Model Code of Conduct (MCC).
Congress had alleged that Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had addressed the gathering on the occasion and termed the EC`s directive to not to hold the conference with the period of emergency.
The Election Commission issued the notice after going through the video footage of Badal`s March 16 `Hola Mohalla` speech and his address to media.
The poll body had on March 15 banned political meetings and conferences during `Hola Mohalla` celebrations when SAD had made elaborate arrangements for the rally.
Meanwhile, EC ordered cancellation of all political rallies during Baisakhi celebrations at Talwandi Sabo and Bathinda on April 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore