ED raids Hawala dealers in Punjab; suspects Rs 200 crore racket
Chandigarh: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has seized cash worth Rs 1.20 crore besides foreign currency after it conducted raids on some suspected Hawala dealers in Punjab.
Sources in the agency said sleuths raided two business firms and their associates in Ludhiana and Jalandhar as they were found to be indulging in large-scale channelling of Hawala
funds in India on the directions of people based in the UK, Canada, Dubai and other foreign shores.
Hawala is an illegal mode of money transfer in which criminal and scrupulous elements evade the normal banking and cash transactions channel to avoid being detected and paying taxes.
Indian currency worth Rs 1.20 crore and foreign currencies have been seized by the ED and the agency has widened its probe net against a host of other individuals and businessmen whose names have figured in the documents seized during the searches and they may be routing illegal funds through these two firms to foreign shores, they claimed.
The agency estimates that this racket, running across Punjab and few other north Indian states, could be to be tune of Rs 200 crore.
Hawala instances are regulated and probed under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video