Elaborate security check of Sikhs at US airports not fair: Kaur
Patiala: The Centre is vigorously taking up
with US officials the issue of Sikhs being subjected to
elaborate security checks at its airports, Minister of State
for External Affairs Preneet Kaur on Saturday said.
"Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh is aware that Sikhs
are scanned on the airports in USA and their turbans are
patted and therefore, we are vigorously taking it up with our
counterparts in the US," Preneet told reporters at village
Gurthali-Kishangarh in the district.
"Turban is the identity of the Sikhs," said the Congress
MP from Patiala.
India`s Permanent Representative to the UN Hardeep Puri
was reportedly asked by airport officials at Houston recently
to remove his turban during a security check.
However, Puri had sought to downplay the incident,
saying he did not allow removal of his turban.
Replying to a question, she said, "Detailed exercise for
review of cases of blacklisted Sikh NRIs, which include
unspecified number of Indo-Canadians, has been undertaken by
the Home Ministry. Out of the 51 cases, names of seven Sikh
NRIs in the Black List have since been deleted after following
She further said that 24 more names have been deleted
for the wards of blacklisted Sikhs and their names have not
been disclosed due to security reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says