Ex-Justice Sekhon takes oath as Punjab Lokpal
Chandigarh: Punjab Governor and Chandigarh Administrator, Shivraj Patil on Friday administered the oath of allegiance to Justice (retd) Jai Singh Sekhon as Lokpal, Punjab at a brief ceremony held at the Raj Bhavan.
Punjab Chief Minister, Parkash Singh Badal, some other political leaders from the State, besides family members of Justice Sekhon were among others present on the occasion.
Earlier, Punjab`s main opposition party the Congress had said that for the sake of "moral and judicial propriety" Justice Sekhon should have declined to be the Punjab Lokpal as his brother Janmeja Singh Sekhon is a minister in the Punjab government.
Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, Sunil Jakhar had recently claimed that Justice Sekhon`s appointment "defied moral and judicial propriety."
"Suppose a complaint comes against his own brother Janmeja Sekhon as he happens to be a minister in the state government, how will he (Justice) act and decide the case in an impartial manner," Jakhar had questioned.
The Punjab government on November 9 appointed Justice Sekhon, former Judge of Punjab and Haryana High Court as Lokpal of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- 2nd T20I: India vs South Africa - Preview