Ex-Justice Sekhon takes oath as Punjab Lokpal
Chandigarh: Punjab Governor and Chandigarh Administrator, Shivraj Patil on Friday administered the oath of allegiance to Justice (retd) Jai Singh Sekhon as Lokpal, Punjab at a brief ceremony held at the Raj Bhavan.
Punjab Chief Minister, Parkash Singh Badal, some other political leaders from the State, besides family members of Justice Sekhon were among others present on the occasion.
Earlier, Punjab`s main opposition party the Congress had said that for the sake of "moral and judicial propriety" Justice Sekhon should have declined to be the Punjab Lokpal as his brother Janmeja Singh Sekhon is a minister in the Punjab government.
Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly, Sunil Jakhar had recently claimed that Justice Sekhon`s appointment "defied moral and judicial propriety."
"Suppose a complaint comes against his own brother Janmeja Sekhon as he happens to be a minister in the state government, how will he (Justice) act and decide the case in an impartial manner," Jakhar had questioned.
The Punjab government on November 9 appointed Justice Sekhon, former Judge of Punjab and Haryana High Court as Lokpal of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees