Execution of Balwant Singh may be delayed
Patiala: The execution of Balwant Singh
Rajoana, a co-accused in the killing of former Punjab chief
minister Beant Singh in 1995, may be delayed as a trial in a
local court is pending against him.
Additional District and Session Judge, Chandigarh,
Shalini Nagpal had last week issued a warrant of death
sentence against the Babbar Khalsa terrorist.
According to the warrant, Balwant will be hanged on March
31 in Patiala Central Jail.
Jail sources said they have written to the Punjab DGP
(Jails) seeking clarification on whether a death warrant can
be carried out when a case is under judicial process against a
Human rights activist and lawyer Barjinder Singh Sodhi
has questioned the order for execution of Balwant Singh as a
case against him, relating to explosives, was still pending.
"If the case against him is dismissed by the court and
new legal aspects are raised, then what will happen," he told
There is also the question of who will hang Balwant as
Punjab has no hangman currently. The jail authorities have
raised this matter as well.
Balwant himself had requested a court to fix the date for
his execution, and the judge signed the death warrant that he
should be hanged in Patiala Central Jail on March 31 at 9 am.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India