Execution of Balwant Singh may be delayed
Patiala: The execution of Balwant Singh
Rajoana, a co-accused in the killing of former Punjab chief
minister Beant Singh in 1995, may be delayed as a trial in a
local court is pending against him.
Additional District and Session Judge, Chandigarh,
Shalini Nagpal had last week issued a warrant of death
sentence against the Babbar Khalsa terrorist.
According to the warrant, Balwant will be hanged on March
31 in Patiala Central Jail.
Jail sources said they have written to the Punjab DGP
(Jails) seeking clarification on whether a death warrant can
be carried out when a case is under judicial process against a
Human rights activist and lawyer Barjinder Singh Sodhi
has questioned the order for execution of Balwant Singh as a
case against him, relating to explosives, was still pending.
"If the case against him is dismissed by the court and
new legal aspects are raised, then what will happen," he told
There is also the question of who will hang Balwant as
Punjab has no hangman currently. The jail authorities have
raised this matter as well.
Balwant himself had requested a court to fix the date for
his execution, and the judge signed the death warrant that he
should be hanged in Patiala Central Jail on March 31 at 9 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!