Factory owner held for raping employee in Punjab
Phagwara: The owner of a garment factory here has been arrested for his alleged involvement in the gang-rape of a dalit woman who worked at his factory, police said on Wednesday.
"Mandip Singh, owner of the readymade garment factory in Sharma Palace on local railway road, was arrested last night," City Station House Officer (SHO) Balbir Singh said.
The 22-year-old dalit woman had alleged that she was beaten, drugged, and gang-raped in the factory by four persons on July 29, including the owner Mandip Singh while a woman colleague was party to the conspiracy hatched by them.
Mandip Singh and three others, two of them identified as Kuldip and Baba, were booked for rape, criminal intimidation and causing hurt after the victim recorded her statement on August 2.
Name of one of fourth accused is not yet known.
A woman colleague of the victim, working in the same factory, was also booked for hatching conspiracy.
Raids are being conducted to arrest the other accused, Singh said.
Following the incident, dalit activists had resorted to a violent protest here on August 16 demanding the arrest of the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened