Fake encounter case: SSP Moga, 6 others acquitted
Chandigarh: A CBI court on Thursday acquitted seven police personnel, including Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Moga, Surjeet Singh Grewal in a 23-year-old alleged fake encounter case.
The court acquitted the police personnel on "benefit of doubts".
Kulwant Singh`s father Tarlochan Singh (73), retired Principal of Khalsa School Kurali, was fighting to get justice for his son, who was allegedly killed in a fake encounter in 1989.
Tarlochan`s only son, 20-year-old Kulwant who was fondly called Kid, was allegedly abducted by Punjab police personnel from a rented house at Mohali along with another person and later eliminated in a fake encounter near Sohana in 1989.
Tarlochan did not even get to see his son`s body as the police had cremated him in a hurry. Kulwant is shown by police to be a Proclaimed Offender (PO) till now.
Kid, then a class tenth student of DAV school in Chandigarh was arrested in 1986 for having relations with a student political outfit which allegedly had extremist links.
He spent two years in jail and was released in 1988. He married in 1989 and was staying away from his family to avoid harassment of his parents at the hands of police.
The CBI had named seven Punjab police personnel in the case including Grewal, who was then the in-charge of Crime Investigation Agency (CIA) staff at Patiala, Nikka Ram, Gurcharan Singh, Chanan Singh, Dyal Singh, Amarjeet Singh and Birbal Das. One of the accused died during the trial.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata