Fake encounter case: SSP Moga, 6 others acquitted
Chandigarh: A CBI court on Thursday acquitted seven police personnel, including Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Moga, Surjeet Singh Grewal in a 23-year-old alleged fake encounter case.
The court acquitted the police personnel on "benefit of doubts".
Kulwant Singh`s father Tarlochan Singh (73), retired Principal of Khalsa School Kurali, was fighting to get justice for his son, who was allegedly killed in a fake encounter in 1989.
Tarlochan`s only son, 20-year-old Kulwant who was fondly called Kid, was allegedly abducted by Punjab police personnel from a rented house at Mohali along with another person and later eliminated in a fake encounter near Sohana in 1989.
Tarlochan did not even get to see his son`s body as the police had cremated him in a hurry. Kulwant is shown by police to be a Proclaimed Offender (PO) till now.
Kid, then a class tenth student of DAV school in Chandigarh was arrested in 1986 for having relations with a student political outfit which allegedly had extremist links.
He spent two years in jail and was released in 1988. He married in 1989 and was staying away from his family to avoid harassment of his parents at the hands of police.
The CBI had named seven Punjab police personnel in the case including Grewal, who was then the in-charge of Crime Investigation Agency (CIA) staff at Patiala, Nikka Ram, Gurcharan Singh, Chanan Singh, Dyal Singh, Amarjeet Singh and Birbal Das. One of the accused died during the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof