Family awaits return of prisoner from Pak jail
Sri Muktsar Sahib: The family of Surjit Singh alias Makhan Singh, languishing in Kot Lakhpat jail in Pakistan since the last 31 years, is eagerly awaiting for his return as he has completed his prison term.
Singh, a resident of Phidey village of Ferozepur district, was sent to prison after being convicted in a murder case there.
He was awarded death sentence but later on it was commuted to 25 years imprisonment, which he has completed.
Singh`s daughters Parminder Kaur and Rani Kaur told reporters on Tuesday that their father`s counsel, Amesh Sheikh, had informed them that Singh was likely to be released soon as he had already completed his prison term.
"We are now eagerly awaiting for his release," Parminder said.
She said Singh had left his house in 1981 but the family still does not know how he landed in Pakistan and his subsequent conviction in the murder case.
They also appreciated the efforts of former Pakistan minister and Human Rights activist Ansar Burney for taking up Singh`s case at various foras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!