Family relieved: Beant`s grandson
Chandigarh: Gurkirat Singh Kotli, grandson
of assassinated Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh, on Wednesday said
the Union government`s decision to stay the hanging of Balwant Singh Rajoana was in the interest of peace and harmony in the
"The hard-earned peace cannot be frittered away. Any
step in the interest of peace and harmony in the state will
always be supported by us," he said.
Kotli, a Congress MLA from Khanna, said the family felt
relieved and satisfied over the decision.
The step would go a long way in establishing peace in
the state, he said.
The hanging of the Babbar Khalsa terrorist, assassin of
Beant Singh, was stayed by the Central government following a
mercy petition by the SGPC to President Pratibha Patil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'