Farmers protest disrupts rail traffic in Amritsar
Amritsar: Rail traffic was disrupted
on Tuesday following a farmer’s protest at the railway station
seeking compensation for the family of a farmer who died
The movement of all trains except Shatabdi Express
scheduled for Jalandhar and New Delhi between 6 am and 12
noon was disrupted, railway officials here said.
Farmers disrupted the rail traffic following the death of
one of the agitating farmers, Jagir Singh (50), this morning,
Kissan Sangharsh Committee Secretary Harpreet Singh said.
Singh said, the farmers had staged the protest demanding
adequate compensation from Punjab Government to the family of
On a representative of the district administration
assuring the agitationists that Rs five lakh would be paid as
compensation to Jagir Singh`s family, the farmers called off
their protest at around 12 noon today.
However, the demand of job for one of Jagir`s family
members would be subject to the approval of Punjab government,
Jagir died following a heart attack while travelling in a
train from Delhi to Amritsar, sources said.
A group of farmers from Punjab were returning from Delhi
after staging a protest yesterday at Jantar Mantar in New
Delhi raising several demands, including a separate budget for
the agriculture sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row