Farmers protest disrupts rail traffic in Amritsar
Amritsar: Rail traffic was disrupted
on Tuesday following a farmer’s protest at the railway station
seeking compensation for the family of a farmer who died
The movement of all trains except Shatabdi Express
scheduled for Jalandhar and New Delhi between 6 am and 12
noon was disrupted, railway officials here said.
Farmers disrupted the rail traffic following the death of
one of the agitating farmers, Jagir Singh (50), this morning,
Kissan Sangharsh Committee Secretary Harpreet Singh said.
Singh said, the farmers had staged the protest demanding
adequate compensation from Punjab Government to the family of
On a representative of the district administration
assuring the agitationists that Rs five lakh would be paid as
compensation to Jagir Singh`s family, the farmers called off
their protest at around 12 noon today.
However, the demand of job for one of Jagir`s family
members would be subject to the approval of Punjab government,
Jagir died following a heart attack while travelling in a
train from Delhi to Amritsar, sources said.
A group of farmers from Punjab were returning from Delhi
after staging a protest yesterday at Jantar Mantar in New
Delhi raising several demands, including a separate budget for
the agriculture sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown