Farmers protest disrupts rail traffic in Amritsar
Amritsar: Rail traffic was disrupted
on Tuesday following a farmer’s protest at the railway station
seeking compensation for the family of a farmer who died
The movement of all trains except Shatabdi Express
scheduled for Jalandhar and New Delhi between 6 am and 12
noon was disrupted, railway officials here said.
Farmers disrupted the rail traffic following the death of
one of the agitating farmers, Jagir Singh (50), this morning,
Kissan Sangharsh Committee Secretary Harpreet Singh said.
Singh said, the farmers had staged the protest demanding
adequate compensation from Punjab Government to the family of
On a representative of the district administration
assuring the agitationists that Rs five lakh would be paid as
compensation to Jagir Singh`s family, the farmers called off
their protest at around 12 noon today.
However, the demand of job for one of Jagir`s family
members would be subject to the approval of Punjab government,
Jagir died following a heart attack while travelling in a
train from Delhi to Amritsar, sources said.
A group of farmers from Punjab were returning from Delhi
after staging a protest yesterday at Jantar Mantar in New
Delhi raising several demands, including a separate budget for
the agriculture sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks