Farmers` protest hits rail traffic in Punjab
Gurdaspur: Rail traffic was
disrupted on Amritsar-Pathankot route for about four hours
Saturday as members of 17 Left-wing farmers` unions blocked
tracks here protesting "anti-farmer policies" of the central
and state governments, officials said.
The rail traffic was suspended between 1 pm and 4 pm as
protesting farmers refused to clear the rail tracks, they
Sukhdev Singh Bhagokawan, member of the joint action
committee of the farmers` outfits, alleged that while
inflation continued to rise, farmers were not given the
minimum support price (MSP) of wheat and paddy at par with the
cost of farm inputs.
Farmer leader Satbir Singh said, "Due to un-remunerative
prices and increasing bank loans, the farmers are being forced
to commit suicide. The common man is finding it difficult to
meet the cost of living due to skyrocketing prices of
Among other things, the farmers` demands included
interest-free bank loans and free power for home and tubewell
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!