FDI protest in Punjab, poor response in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: Protesting against allowing 51
per cent FDI into multi-brand retail, trading community at
various places in Punjab shut down their shops, but markets
in Chandigarh and Haryana largely remained open.
Druggists and crop seed selling stores were, however,
Apart from this, large and branded stores like Reliance
Fresh, departmental stores, neighbourhood shops and malls also
remained open, reports pouring in from various places across
The bandh had a major impact in major industrial cities,
including Ludhiana, Amritsar and Jalandhar where main bazaars
and markets remained closed.
In Chandigarh and Haryana, including Ambala, shopkeepers
largely stayed away from the bandh call and opened their shops
Traders carried out protest rallies and burnt effigies
in major industrial cities like Ludhiana and Amritsar to lodge
their protest against the entry of multi-national companies
into country`s retail market.
The effigies were burnt separately by local `Beopar`
Mandal and the BJP- an alliance partner of the SAD in the
Parkash Singh Badal led ministry.
Members of the trading body could also be seen requesting
shopkeepers and traders to shut down their shops in the wake
of All India Bandh call, reports said.
"We requested shopowners and merchants not to open their
stores today and they agreed to our plea. At some places
shopkeepers fully supported the bandh call and did not open
their shops," Punjab Pradesh Beopar Mandal, Secretary,
Mohinder Aggarwal said.
Traders claimed that they were getting full support of
retailers and small shopkeepers to make the Bandh successful.
They asked the Centre to come out with a white paper on
the entire FDI issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof