Feel like an opposition MP in Punjab: Navjot Singh Sidhu
Amritsar: Amritsar MP Navjot Singh Sidhu Thursday said he felt like being "an MP in an opposition party" in Punjab even though his Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) rules the state in coalition with the Akali Dal.
Sidhu, who remained "missing" from Amritsar for nearly eight months and returned only Wednesday, told media here Thursday that projects were not being completed in his constituency.
The cricketer-turned-politician, flanked by his legislator wife and Punjab chief parliamentary secretary (CPS) Navjot Kaur, took pot-shots at Punjab BJP leaders -- with most of whom he has been at loggerheads -- without naming anyone.
"I feel like being an MP in the opposition party even though the Akali Dal-BJP government is ruling in Punjab," he said.
He said he was being told that there were no funds for projects in his constituency.
"How is it possible that all projects are completed within six months when Vidhan Sabha (assembly) elections are round the corner and now when Lok Sabha polls are approaching there are no funds," he asked.
While saying that he respected Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal "like my father", Sidhu decried the treatment meted out to him by the state government.
Sidhu was elected MP from Amritsar in 2004, again in 2006 in a by-election and then in 2009.
A local NGO had, earlier this month, put up posters around Amritsar declaring Sidhu as a "missing person" and even announcing a reward to anyone bringing him back.
Sidhu had done the vanishing act from Amritsar once earlier also.
Even though he stayed away from the constituency for eight months, he continued to make appearances on television shows as a cricket expert and even in comedy shows. He had participated in the TV reality show "Big Boss" last year.
Reacting to Sidhu`s outburst, Badal Thursday said it was "an internal matter of BJP and was their sole prerogative to satisfy him".
Badal, who was in Una district of adjoining Himachal Pradesh, told media persons: "I don`t perceive any personal problem with Mr. Sidhu and if at all the MP has any grouse, then the state BJP leadership should take care of that."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon