Feud surfaces in Punjab Congress
Chandigarh: Factional feud in Congress in
Punjab in the wake of party`s debacle in assembly poll came to
the fore Wednesday as some senior leaders walked out of a meeting
presided over by PCC President Amarinder Singh.
Seventy one candidates who lost the state assembly
elections held recently in Punjab had been called to the
meeting held here to discuss the party`s poll defeat.
Former MLA Sukhpal Khaira, who has been vocal in recent
times demanding a change in party leadership in Punjab, along
with other state leaders of the party, Ripjit Brar, Mangat Rai
Bansal, Surinderpal Sibia and Raman Bhalla walked out from the
Party sources said Khaira and others felt the party should
hold a serious introspection over the poll defeat instead of
holding "tea parties" or social get-togethers.
The sources said some leaders felt convening the meeting
was a move by the Amarinder camp to garner support at a time
when his critics have been gunning for him after Congress`
defeat in the January 30 polls in which it managed to win just
46 of the 117 assembly seats.
They said Khaira had asked Amarinder in today`s meeting
to step down from the PCC chief`s post as the party had faced
two successive defeats in Punjab (2007 and 2012) under his
Amarinder Singh later told reporters that the leaders
had been called for the meeting over tea to have a free
discussion over recent poll results.
On his detractors walking out from the meeting, Amarinder
sought to play down the issue.
He also said "whether PCC President stays or goes is not
the decision which will be taken in Punjab. I have already
said I will continue as long as my party chief wants me to do
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM