Five robbers nabbed, arms seized in Punjab
Sangrur (Pb): Police on Tuesday overpowered a gang of five robbers after a brief exchange of fire near Ranchana village under the jurisdiction of Dhuri Police station, SSP Harcharan Singh Bhullar said.
Acting on a tip off, a police party was following the robbers, Bhullar said adding, they were planning to rob `Arhtiyas` (commission agents) and farmers amid the ongoing wheat procurement season.
On spotting the police, the robbers opened fire, but were finally taken into custody after the police retaliated, the SSP said.
The arrested robbers were identified as Bablu, Sukhjinder Singh alias Kala, Jagwant Singh alias Banti, Satgur Singh and Harjinder Singh.
A jeep, a motorcycle, five country made pistols of .32 bore and .315 bore and over a dozen cartridges were seized from them.
He said that police have registered a case against the accused and further investigations are under progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!