Fog hits air, rail traffic in Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: A thick blanket of fog enveloped most parts of Punjab and Haryana today, disrupting normal life and hitting air, rail and road traffic.
In Punjab, fog and mist reduced visibility to less than 50 metres at several places, including Patiala, Amritsar, Hisar, Karnal Ambala and Ludhiana.
Low visibility also hit flight operations in Chandigarh and Amritsar.
"No flight took off today as there was zero visibility due to fog," Amritsar Airport Director Suneel Dutt said.
Morning flights from Delhi to Chandigarh are behind their scheduled arrival timings because of fog, officials at Chandigarh Airport said.
Fog also cast a shadow on rail traffic at Chandigarh as departure of several trains, including the Shatabdi (New Delhi Kalka), Himalayan Queen and Bhiwani-Kalka were delayed by one and a half hours while arrival of few trains, including Allahabad-Chandigarh train was delayed by 9 hours.
Adampur in Punjab turned out to be the coldest place in the region as it recorded a minimum temperature of 2.2 degree Celsius, Met department officials said here today.
Among other places in Punjab, Ludhiana recorded a temperature of 5.3 degree Celsius. Amritsar and Patiala recorded a low of 7.8 degree Celsius and 7.6 degree Celsius respectively, they said.
In Haryana, Ambala, Hisar and Narnaul had a minimum temperature of 8.5 degree Celsius, 6.6 degree Celsius and 7.3 degree Celsius, respectively. While Bhiwani and Karnal recorded a temperature of 7.2 degree Celsius and 8 degree Celsius.
Meanwhile, Union Territory Chandigarh recorded a temperature of 8.3 degree Celsius.
Met department in its forecast said fog and mist will prevail during morning and night in Punjab and Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced