Former CBI judge suspended over bribery charges
Chandigarh: A former special CBI judge in Patiala, who was recently transferred to Faridkot, was placed under suspension following bribery charges against him, a senior high court official has said.
The suspension order against Hemant Gopal was passed by Punjab and Haryana High Court in a full court meeting yesterday, the official said here today. A full court meeting is attended by all high court judges.
Gopal had last week, under directions from high court, been transferred from Patiala along with some other judges.
However, in the full court meeting yesterday, it was decided that he be suspended with immediate effect.
Gopal had recently convicted Mansa District Planning Committee Chairman and former MLA Mangat Rai Bansal along with 21 others in a 14-year-old paddy embezzlement case.
The convicted persons were sentenced to seven-years` rigorous imprisonment.
Along with Congress-turned-SAD leader Bansal, rice millers primarily from Bareta in Mansa ? and Food Corporation of India officials were convicted for their role in the supply and procurement of sub-standard rice.
However, last month, Bansal had levelled serious allegations against Gopal.
"The special court judge convicted me wrongfully as I had exposed a bribery scandal involving him.
"I am the victim of a political conspiracy and CBI officials are playing into the hands of big politicians," Bansal had alleged, adding that, "The case against me and my supporters is false. The truth will come out soon; I have full faith in high court".
On August 12, high court had granted bail to Bansal and four others.
It had also last month received a complaint making serious allegations against Gopal, sources said.
Taking cognisance of the complaint, the court suspended Gopal, an additional district and sessions judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS