Former militant released on parole, Gurbaksh Singh to end fast
Chandigarh: As the hunger strike of former terrorist Gurbaksh Singh Khalsa entered 42nd day, a militant convicted in former chief minister Beant Singh`s murder case in 1995 was released on Wednesday on parole from Burail jail here.
Gurmeet Singh was released from the high security jail for a four-week parole, officials said. Singh facing life term in connection with Beant Singh`s murder case was received by activists of radical outfits, including Dal Khalsa outside the jail premises after his release this afternoon.
Meanwhile, the other two convicts- Lakhwinder Singh and Shamsher Singh -lodged in Burail jail here are expected to be released on parole tomorrow, officials said, adding the paperwork for their parole is under process.
Former militant, Gurbaksh Singh Khalsa whose hunger strike entered 42nd day at a Sikh shrine in Mohali announced to end his fast tomorrow at Akal Takhat, the top temporal seat of Sikhs.
Gurbaksh Singh has been on hunger strike demanding release of six Sikh prisoners who have already completed their jail terms after being convicted in former chief minister`s murder case in 1995.
Akal Takht head Gurbachan Singh, who had yesterday issued an edict asking Gurbax to end his fast, met him at Mohali today.
The Akal Takhat head impressed upon Gurbaksh to end his fast following which he announced to adhere to the diktat of Akal Takhat by ending his fast tomorrow at Amritsar.
Out of the six convicts, one Lal Singh, who was lodged in Patiala`s Nabha jail, was released on six weeks parole four days back.
Another Sikh detainee Waryam Singh lodged in a Uttar Pardesh jail in a different case is also expected to get parole tomorrow as formalities in this connection are over, sources said.
Meanwhile, sixth Sikh detainee Gurdeep Singh, lodged in a Karnataka jail in a TADA case will take some time to get parole as his case and paperwork have just been initiated, sources said.
Gurmeet Singh, Lakhwinder Singh and Shamsher Singh are lodged in Burail jail at Chandigarh after their life conviction in the Beant Singh assassination case.
Lal Singh was sent behind bars in an Arms Act case by the Gujarat government in 1992. He was later shifted to Nabha jail in Patiala from Gujarat.
Waryam was convicted in a separate case in 1990 by a court in Uttar Pardesh while Gurdeep under TADA Act also in 1990 by a court in Karnataka.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal too had maintained that the Sikh detainees must be released on parole and the state government had taken all necessary steps for their release.
The family members of Beant Singh had also expressed no objection to the release of Sikh detainees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm