Former Patiala DC arrested in Rs 250 cr land scam case
Patiala: Suspended IAS officer and former Patiala deputy commissioner Vikas Garg was on Friday arrested by the Punjab Vigilance Bureau (PVB) in connection with the Rs 250 crore land scam case.
Vigilance sources said the absconding officer was arrested in connection with the case registered against him and nine others, including revenue officers for allegedly selling prime government land to private individuals.
They, however, declined to reveal the place from where the former Deputy Commissioner was arrested.
Punjab and Haryana High Court on Wednesday rejected Garg`s petition seeking quashing of the FIR registered against him on November 09 last year, saying he had no role to play in the land sale deed.
Garg was Patiala Deputy Commissioner when 6,000 sq yards of government land worth Rs 250 crore on the post office road was allegedly marked as private property to allow its further sale in 2011.
The trial court had found that the officials had executed the land sale deed worth Rs 250 crore for just Rs 6.3 crore.
Garg and four revenue officials were suspended on May 08, 2012 by the Punjab government.
The bureau had registered a case against Garg, four former revenue officials of Patiala, and five private individuals for the "fraudulent sale" of government land in October last year.
They were booked under various sections of the IPC including 409 (misappropriation of funds), 420 (cheating), 467 (fraud), 468, 471 (forgery), 120-B IPC (criminal conspiracy) and 13(I) (d) r/w 13(2) PC Act 1988 (corruption).
The PVB had approached a trial court here recently for declaring Garg a proclaimed offender as he was evading arrest and had failed to join the investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared