Former Patiala DC arrested in Rs 250 cr land scam case
Patiala: Suspended IAS officer and former Patiala deputy commissioner Vikas Garg was on Friday arrested by the Punjab Vigilance Bureau (PVB) in connection with the Rs 250 crore land scam case.
Vigilance sources said the absconding officer was arrested in connection with the case registered against him and nine others, including revenue officers for allegedly selling prime government land to private individuals.
They, however, declined to reveal the place from where the former Deputy Commissioner was arrested.
Punjab and Haryana High Court on Wednesday rejected Garg`s petition seeking quashing of the FIR registered against him on November 09 last year, saying he had no role to play in the land sale deed.
Garg was Patiala Deputy Commissioner when 6,000 sq yards of government land worth Rs 250 crore on the post office road was allegedly marked as private property to allow its further sale in 2011.
The trial court had found that the officials had executed the land sale deed worth Rs 250 crore for just Rs 6.3 crore.
Garg and four revenue officials were suspended on May 08, 2012 by the Punjab government.
The bureau had registered a case against Garg, four former revenue officials of Patiala, and five private individuals for the "fraudulent sale" of government land in October last year.
They were booked under various sections of the IPC including 409 (misappropriation of funds), 420 (cheating), 467 (fraud), 468, 471 (forgery), 120-B IPC (criminal conspiracy) and 13(I) (d) r/w 13(2) PC Act 1988 (corruption).
The PVB had approached a trial court here recently for declaring Garg a proclaimed offender as he was evading arrest and had failed to join the investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town