Former Punjab police chief loses in Moga
Chandigarh: Former Punjab DGP and Shiromani
Akali Dal candidate PS Gill lost to his Congress rival by a
margin of more than 4,500 votes in the Moga Assembly seat.
Gill, who was handpicked by the SAD-led government as the
Director General of Police in 2009, lost to Congress`s
Joginder Pal Jain by a total of 4,625 votes.
The 61-year-old former Punjab police chief, who retired
as DGP in September last year, is a 1974-batch IPS officer
from Jammu and Kashmir cadre.
He was brought to Punjab after a special request was made
by Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to his Jammu and
Kashmir counterpart Omar Abdullah, requesting for his
In a stint marred with many controversies ranging from
police high-handedness and corruption, Gill did not enjoy any
prime postings in his cadre state other than being the
Inspector General of the Kashmir range for a brief period.
The Moga seat was earlier been represented by Gill`s
The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) created history today to
become the first party ever to retain power in Punjab bucking
the anti-incumbency factor with the senior Badal, the grand
old man of the state politics, and his son Sukhbir Singh
leading the charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH