Four sexual assaults in 24 hours rock Chandigarh
Chandigarh: Four incidents of sexual assault, including that on a teenager and a minor, have been reported from the city within 24 hours, with one person getting arrested for his alleged involvement in one of the cases.
In the first incident, a 25-year-old girl was allegedly abducted by some unidentified youths Saturday, who tried to outrage her modesty in a car before abandoning her in the Sector 26 area, police said.
A case under relevant sections of IPC has been registered against the unidentified accused and their sketches have been drawn out for identification, police added.
In a similar incident inside the Panjab University campus yesterday, a four-year-old girl was allegedly molested by her caretaker`s son at a creche on Saturday.
The accused Monty, a student of the university, has been arrested in connection with the case, police said, adding the medical examination has not confirmed of rape.
Two more cases of crime against women were reported from the city yesterday, where a college student and a teenager alleged that they were sexual assaulted.
The student alleged that some unidentified motorcycle-borne youths sexually assaulted her in Sector 11 area when she was on her way to college, police said.
In Manimajra area, a teenage girl was allegedly assaulted sexually by three men -- Arjun, Shenshah and Dilshad, police said, adding FIRs into the matter have been lodged and efforts are on to nab the accused.
Meanwhile within a fortnight of the crime, a local court yesterday convicted a 36-year-old man for attempting to rape his neighbour`s three-year-old daughter.
The quantum of sentence will be pronounced tomorrow, police said.
On March 2, the convict Bahadur had lured the child with chocolates and later tried raped her in the absence of her parents, police said.
Bahadur was arrested the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees