Four sexual assaults in 24 hours rock Chandigarh
Chandigarh: Four incidents of sexual assault, including that on a teenager and a minor, have been reported from the city within 24 hours, with one person getting arrested for his alleged involvement in one of the cases.
In the first incident, a 25-year-old girl was allegedly abducted by some unidentified youths Saturday, who tried to outrage her modesty in a car before abandoning her in the Sector 26 area, police said.
A case under relevant sections of IPC has been registered against the unidentified accused and their sketches have been drawn out for identification, police added.
In a similar incident inside the Panjab University campus yesterday, a four-year-old girl was allegedly molested by her caretaker`s son at a creche on Saturday.
The accused Monty, a student of the university, has been arrested in connection with the case, police said, adding the medical examination has not confirmed of rape.
Two more cases of crime against women were reported from the city yesterday, where a college student and a teenager alleged that they were sexual assaulted.
The student alleged that some unidentified motorcycle-borne youths sexually assaulted her in Sector 11 area when she was on her way to college, police said.
In Manimajra area, a teenage girl was allegedly assaulted sexually by three men -- Arjun, Shenshah and Dilshad, police said, adding FIRs into the matter have been lodged and efforts are on to nab the accused.
Meanwhile within a fortnight of the crime, a local court yesterday convicted a 36-year-old man for attempting to rape his neighbour`s three-year-old daughter.
The quantum of sentence will be pronounced tomorrow, police said.
On March 2, the convict Bahadur had lured the child with chocolates and later tried raped her in the absence of her parents, police said.
Bahadur was arrested the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Jacqueline Fernandez dusts down rumours on doing 'Don 3'!
- Hurrah! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' got cleared by CBFC with NO CUTS!
- Here's what Aishwarya Rai has to say about 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' co-actor Ranbir Kapoor!
- China's finance minister sees Brexit heightening uncertainty for markets
- China tornado, hailstorm toll rises to 99, at least 840 injured