Four soldiers killed in truck explosion in Jalandhar
Jalandhar (Punjab): Four soldiers were killed Tuesday evening after an Army truck caught fire following an explosion in Jalandhar cantonment in Punjab.
The victims belonged to the motor vehicle section of an artillery unit (20 SATA Battery) based at the headquarters of the 11 Corps of the Army based here.
Ruling out any sabotage, Army officials said the soldiers were unloading some equipment when the explosion took place in Jalandhar cantonment, some 150 km from here. Police sources, however, said sabotage could not be entirely ruled out.
Army authorities have cordoned off the entire cantonment area. Army sources said that a bomb disposal squad was searching the area where the explosion took place.
Army spokesman Naresh Vig said here that the incident took place when the battery of the under maintenance 5-tonne Army truck exploded suddenly.
All four soldiers died on the spot as the vehicle caught fire.
Army authorities instituted an inquiry into the incident even as rumours flew that a terror strike had taken place in the cantonment.
The 11 Corps headquartered here is frontier unit of the army looking after the western frontier of India with Pakistan. It is under the Western Command.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price