French national sentenced to 10 years in jail
Amritsar: A French national with alleged links with Babbar Khalsa International terror outfit was awarded ten years imprisonment by a Sessions Court here on Thursday for possessing arms and explosive material in a two-year-old case.
Additional Sessions-cum-Special Judge Navjot Kaur Sohal on December 17 held French national Harpal Singh and two other men, allegedly having links with the banned outfit, guilty of possessing arms and ammunition and unlawful activities.
Announcing the quantum of punishment today, the judge awarded Harpal and another convict Makhan Singh ten years imprisonment while third convict Gurmukh Singh was awarded seven years in jail, according to inspector with Special Narcotic cell, Harvinder Singh, who was present in the court to assist the public prosecutor.
Punjab Police had earlier registered criminal case against four persons, Harpal Singh, Gurmukh Singh, Makhan Singh and Kulwant Singh after the seizure of two AK-47 rifles, one machine gun, 15 kg of RDX and detonating devices on July 25, 2010.
Kulwant Singh had died during the pendency of the case in jail.
Harpal Singh from Dhandowal village in Shahkot had remained in France from 1978-1999 and is a French national, he said.
He had arrived India in 2006 and indulged in unlawful activities. All the accused are said to be having links with Babbar Khalsa International outfit, he added.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Parent firm Finmeccanica yet to be formally blacklisted, says report
- PCB clears Younis Khan after accepting his apology
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net for Chhattisgarh Board CGBSE 10th X Class High School (HS) Exam Results 2016
- #CongressPlanningRiots is trending on Twitter. Here's why