French national sentenced to 10 years in jail
Amritsar: A French national with alleged links with Babbar Khalsa International terror outfit was awarded ten years imprisonment by a Sessions Court here on Thursday for possessing arms and explosive material in a two-year-old case.
Additional Sessions-cum-Special Judge Navjot Kaur Sohal on December 17 held French national Harpal Singh and two other men, allegedly having links with the banned outfit, guilty of possessing arms and ammunition and unlawful activities.
Announcing the quantum of punishment today, the judge awarded Harpal and another convict Makhan Singh ten years imprisonment while third convict Gurmukh Singh was awarded seven years in jail, according to inspector with Special Narcotic cell, Harvinder Singh, who was present in the court to assist the public prosecutor.
Punjab Police had earlier registered criminal case against four persons, Harpal Singh, Gurmukh Singh, Makhan Singh and Kulwant Singh after the seizure of two AK-47 rifles, one machine gun, 15 kg of RDX and detonating devices on July 25, 2010.
Kulwant Singh had died during the pendency of the case in jail.
Harpal Singh from Dhandowal village in Shahkot had remained in France from 1978-1999 and is a French national, he said.
He had arrived India in 2006 and indulged in unlawful activities. All the accused are said to be having links with Babbar Khalsa International outfit, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi