Gang attacks police, rescues kidnapping accused in Chandigarh
Raipur: An accused in a kidnapping case was today rescued by his associates from a running train while he was being taken to Bilaspur.
Raipur district senior SP Dipanshu Kabra said that Upendra Singh, who had been arrested in connection with a 2003 abduction of Jai Chand Baid, a businessman, from Durg district, was taken to Durg for appearance before a court yesterday.
Today, when he was being brought back to Bilaspur by Janshatabdi train, escorted by a havaldar and two constables, a group of eight persons, armed with country-made pistols, climbed on board near Charauda Railway station.
They allegedly assaulted the policemen, threw chili powder into their eyes and freed Upendra. Some of them got into driver`s cabin and forced him to slow the train.
The gang then jumped off the train one-km from the station.
After fleeing, the assailants forcibly took possession of a car, but it broke down near Khamharia village of Durg district, so they abandoned it and fled on foot, the police official said.
The abduction case dates back to 2003, in which the police had successfully rescued the victim from Bihar and arrested Upendra. He had once succeeded in fleeing, but was re-arrested.
Police have launched a manhunt in Durg and Raipur districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16