Gang-rape victim commits suicide after police inaction in Punjab
Patiala: An 18-year-old girl, who was allegedly raped by two persons, committed suicide as police failed to take action against the accused, after which one policeman was dismissed and two others were suspended.
Police sources said here today that on the night of Diwali (November 13) the girl of village Badshahpur was allegedly raped by two persons Balwinder Singh and Gurpreet Singh with the connivance of one woman Shinderpal Kaur.
The victim had reported the matter to the police station Ghaggha of the district but the Station House Officer registered the FIR after 14 days--on November 27--under various sections of the IPC including 363, 376 and 34 IPC.
Police sources said the girl consumed poisonous substance at her house and succumbed in a nearby hospital last night, police sources said.
Inspector General of Police, Patiala, P S Gill said here today that the SHO not only delayed the registration of case but did not inform the senior officers about the incident.
SHO Gurcharan Singh was today dismissed from service while DSP of Samana Harpreet Singh and Assistant Sub-Inspector Nasic Singh have been suspended, the IGP said.
Police sources said Gurcharan used to ask the victim embarassing questions relating to the alleged rape every time she used to visit the police station to find out about follow-up action on her complaint.
SP (Detective) Pritpal Singh Thind has been asked to investigate the matter and submit a report within a week.
All the rape accused have been arrested, Gill said.
In Chandigarh, Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee President Amarinder Singh expressed shock over the rape of the girl and her subsequent suicide following alleged pressure by the police to compromise with her rapists.
In a statement, Amarinder said it was "quite shocking" that such heinous and shameful incidents were taking place everyday "which vindicated the Congress stand that law and order situation has touched its nadir" in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!