Gang-rape victim commits suicide after police inaction in Punjab
Patiala: An 18-year-old girl, who was allegedly raped by two persons, committed suicide as police failed to take action against the accused, after which one policeman was dismissed and two others were suspended.
Police sources said here today that on the night of Diwali (November 13) the girl of village Badshahpur was allegedly raped by two persons Balwinder Singh and Gurpreet Singh with the connivance of one woman Shinderpal Kaur.
The victim had reported the matter to the police station Ghaggha of the district but the Station House Officer registered the FIR after 14 days--on November 27--under various sections of the IPC including 363, 376 and 34 IPC.
Police sources said the girl consumed poisonous substance at her house and succumbed in a nearby hospital last night, police sources said.
Inspector General of Police, Patiala, P S Gill said here today that the SHO not only delayed the registration of case but did not inform the senior officers about the incident.
SHO Gurcharan Singh was today dismissed from service while DSP of Samana Harpreet Singh and Assistant Sub-Inspector Nasic Singh have been suspended, the IGP said.
Police sources said Gurcharan used to ask the victim embarassing questions relating to the alleged rape every time she used to visit the police station to find out about follow-up action on her complaint.
SP (Detective) Pritpal Singh Thind has been asked to investigate the matter and submit a report within a week.
All the rape accused have been arrested, Gill said.
In Chandigarh, Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee President Amarinder Singh expressed shock over the rape of the girl and her subsequent suicide following alleged pressure by the police to compromise with her rapists.
In a statement, Amarinder said it was "quite shocking" that such heinous and shameful incidents were taking place everyday "which vindicated the Congress stand that law and order situation has touched its nadir" in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark