Gangster killed in Amritsar police encounter
Amritsar: A notorious gangster, wanted in connection with several criminal cases including that of attempt to murder, was on Thursday gunned down in a police encounter in Amritsar.
On a tip off, a police team cordoned off a barber shop in the Civil Lines area where the criminal Lovely Smart was reported to be present, inspector Sanjeev Kumar, who headed the operation, said.
Upon being challenged by cops, Lovely attacked them with a dagger and injured one policeman seriously, prompting them to open fire, Kumar said, adding the criminal died on the spot.
Briefing about his criminal history, Kumar said Lovely was accused in a number of cases including a murder attempt on a policeman, besides various cases of dacoity and theft.
His accomplices are already in judicial custody for last more than six months and Lovely was the only key member of the gang who was out of bounds, Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says