Gangster killed in Amritsar police encounter
Amritsar: A notorious gangster, wanted in connection with several criminal cases including that of attempt to murder, was on Thursday gunned down in a police encounter in Amritsar.
On a tip off, a police team cordoned off a barber shop in the Civil Lines area where the criminal Lovely Smart was reported to be present, inspector Sanjeev Kumar, who headed the operation, said.
Upon being challenged by cops, Lovely attacked them with a dagger and injured one policeman seriously, prompting them to open fire, Kumar said, adding the criminal died on the spot.
Briefing about his criminal history, Kumar said Lovely was accused in a number of cases including a murder attempt on a policeman, besides various cases of dacoity and theft.
His accomplices are already in judicial custody for last more than six months and Lovely was the only key member of the gang who was out of bounds, Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube