Girl`s death: PGI to set up committee with external experts
Chandigarh: Amid allegations that callousness on the part of doctors led to the death of a 16-year-old girl, the PGIMER on Sunday said a committee with external experts was being set up to look into the matter.
"After consideration of the report submitted by a committee into Anupama`s death, the PGI administration has decided to further expand the scope of the probe.
"For this, a committee with external experts is being constituted," the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research said in a release here.
A day after Anupama`s death, the hospital had set up a four-member committee, which included orthopaedic department head M S Dhillon, to look into the girl`s death.
The committee submitted the report to the Institute`s Director on Friday.
Yesterday, the PGI had blamed "overcrowding and unending rush of patients" as factors that led to the death of the girl.
Anupama`s parents had alleged that failure to get timely medical attention resulted in her death.
On July 17, Anupama Sarkar, a class X student of Government Model Senior Secondary School, Sector 18, and a resident of Mauli Jagran complex here, met with an accident.
Anupama`s leg was crushed under a Chandigarh Transport Undertaking bus and she died on July 24 at PGIMER`s Advanced Trauma Centre.
Anupama`s father Amit Sarkar, who hails from West Bengal, had said the hospital doctors had told him that she required an immediate surgery.
But, they kept on "delaying" it on the pretext that more serious cases had to be attended first, he had said.
This resulted in spread of infection to other parts of her body that proved fatal, he had alleged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know