`Govt should grant reserved category status to Jats`
New Delhi: Congress leader and newly elected Jat Maha Sabha president Capt Amarinder Singh Friday demanded that the Centre should fulfil the community`s long pending demand for reserved category status.
"Our demand for reservation is because of the fact that Jat community is economically and socially weak. It has been our long pending demand that the community should be included in the list of reserved category. It will be enable our youth to get job opportunities in central public sector units and other government offices," Singh said in his address to a gathering of Jat leaders and community members.
Terming the reserved category demand as necessary, the former Punjab Chief Minister said the Jat community was lagging far behind for years.
Jat leaders from Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand and other states were present during the Jat Conference.
Earlier, former Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhary asked the Jat leaders to stop female foeticide and educate their girl child.
"According to the Health Ministry reports, over two lakh cases of female foeticide have taken place in western Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana. There is huge gender inequality, due to which marriageable youth are unable to find their perfect match," she said.
Stressing that there was a need to bring a change in the thinking that the girl child is a burden, Chowdhary said "our culture and society revolves around the women -- like mother and sister. How will the society progress and if there is no women in your community? You are not sending your girl child to schools and then expect that some educated youth will marry her. It is not possible."
Apart from Chowdhary and Singh, Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit were also present at the gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks