`Hanging of Rajoana won`t take place on March 31`
Chandigarh: The hanging of Beant Singh
assassination case convict Balwant Singh Rajoana would not
take place on March 31 as ordered by a local court, Punjab
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said on Monday.
Sukhbir, who also holds the Home portfolio, told
reporters here that "our duty is to maintain law and order at
any cost. Hanging is not going to take place," he said.
He said the order for execution of Rajoana cannot be
carried out since SGPC has filed a petition before the
President seeking clemency for him. The appeal of another
convict Lakhwinder Singh is also pending in the Supreme Court,
He said Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal made a clear
statement in the state assembly earlier today saying he would
soon be calling on the President and the Prime Minister in
order to secure clemency for Rajoana and get his death
sentence commuted to life imprisonment.
Rajoana, who is lodged in Central Jail at Patiala in
Punjab, himself has not filed any mercy or review petition
following the recent order of the Additional Sessions Judge of
Chandigarh Shalini Singh Nagpal fixing March 31 as the date of
hanging of Rajoana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends