Haryana to review mid-day meal scheme
Chandigarh: The Haryana government has ordered a review of the mid-day meal scheme in government-run schools after 100 students in Kurukshetra district last week ended up in hospitals after consuming the school meal, a minister said Monday.
Haryana Finance Minister H.S. Chattha said the policy of preparing mid-day meal would be reviewed and officials who were playing with the health of children would not be spared at any cost.
In two separate incidents in Kurukshetra last week, over 100 students from government schools in three villages -- Doda Khedi, Gobindgarh and Ruan -- had to be rushed to hospitals after they consumed the free meal.
Health officials found that in one instance, the food served contained a dead lizard while in the second incident, the food was contaminated.
Chattha, who visited Ruan village to enquire about the health of the hospitalised children, said that good quality food should be served to children as per the scheme.
"Two-three cases of children falling ill after taking mid-day meal in the district had come to the notice. This indicated gross negligence which would not be tolerated at any cost," Chattha said.
The minister ordered the officers to constitute a committee to look into the incident. He also directed health department officials to test the samples of the meal being served to children.
The minister directed Additional Deputy Commissioner Sumedha Kataria to personally look into the matter and submit a report at the earliest.
Residents of affected villages appealed to the finance minister to take action against the headmasters of the schools.
A central government scheme, the mid-day meal is served to draw children, especially from poor families, to school to get education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah