HC notice to Punjab govt on school donation
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Wednesday issued notice to Punjab government seeking explanation on Rs 1 crore donation by Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal to his alma mater Lawrence School, Sanawar in Himachal Pradesh.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice AK Sikri and Justice Rakesh Kumar Jain sought the government`s explanation by November 1 after hearing a plea by former Congress MLA Sukhpal Singh Khaira who alleged that the grant to the elite boarding school was given from the Punjab Nirman Funds.
Khaira, who lost the recent state Assembly Elections from Bholath in Kapurthala district, demanded that the donation given to the school in Solan district of Himachal Pradesh be withdrawn.
He alleged that Badal had given the grant to the school in Himachal while ignoring government schools in Punjab which were in a "pitiable" condition.
The government had justified the donation saying "the 174-year old educational institution is under the Government of India and has Secretary Human Resource Development as its Chairperson of Governing body with GOC-in-C Western Command as ex-officio member of the governing body."
The government said that institutions like Lawrence School belong to the nation and not to a particular state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid