HC notice to Punjab govt on school donation
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Wednesday issued notice to Punjab government seeking explanation on Rs 1 crore donation by Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal to his alma mater Lawrence School, Sanawar in Himachal Pradesh.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice AK Sikri and Justice Rakesh Kumar Jain sought the government`s explanation by November 1 after hearing a plea by former Congress MLA Sukhpal Singh Khaira who alleged that the grant to the elite boarding school was given from the Punjab Nirman Funds.
Khaira, who lost the recent state Assembly Elections from Bholath in Kapurthala district, demanded that the donation given to the school in Solan district of Himachal Pradesh be withdrawn.
He alleged that Badal had given the grant to the school in Himachal while ignoring government schools in Punjab which were in a "pitiable" condition.
The government had justified the donation saying "the 174-year old educational institution is under the Government of India and has Secretary Human Resource Development as its Chairperson of Governing body with GOC-in-C Western Command as ex-officio member of the governing body."
The government said that institutions like Lawrence School belong to the nation and not to a particular state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof