Hearing adjourned on Rathore plea till Friday
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday adjourned till Friday the hearing on the bail plea and revision petition of disgraced former Haryana police chief SPS Rathore, convicted for molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra who later committed suicide.
Rathore was sentenced to 18 months rigorous imprisonment by the district and sessions court of Chandigarh. He is currently lodged in the high-security Burail jail here since May 25.
"Rathore`s counsel Abha Rathore has started submitting the facts before the court. But we are well prepared to oppose it. The case has been adjourned till tomorrow (July 2)," Ajay Kaushik, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) lawyer, told a news agency on Thursday.
Rathore, the former Haryana director general of police, was sent to jail May 25 after the court upheld his conviction in the molestation case by a CBI special court in December and enhanced his jail term to 18 months.
Rathore was sentenced to six months rigorous imprisonment and fined Rs 1,000 by the CBI special court. He was immediately granted bail then. Rathore filed a plea in January challenging his conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr