Heavy downpour claims five lives in Punjab
Chandigarh: Heavy rains lashed most parts of Punjab on Saturday, leaving five persons dead in Ludhiana and inundating many low lying areas.
Intermittent rainfall in most parts of Punjab and Haryana disrupted normal life with power and water supply being affected at several places, officials said here.
Two brothers were buried alive in Ludhiana after the wall of an old fort collapsed on their house following rains, Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police Sushil Kumar said.
In another incident in Ludhiana, a woman died when the building of her house collapsed in Meharban colony. Three of her family members were seriously injured in the incident.
In another incident, a man was electrocuted when he was wading through knee deep waters in Fieldgunj locality in Ludhiana.
Police said a truck driver was killed when his vehicle laden with iron bars was caught in rain waters on the Ludhiana-Ferozepur road.
Most of the rivers passing through Punjab and Haryana, including Sutlej, Beas, Ravi, Yamuna, Som, Ghaggar and Markanda are flowing in full spate in view of rainfall in catchments areas.
The traffic on the national highway number one at Phagwara had to be diverted as the road was submerged in deep water.
While Ludhiana received 107.4 mm of rainfall, Amritsar was drenched by 84 mm of rains, the Met office said here.
Among other places, Patiala was pounded by 22.9 mm of rainfall followed by 4.3 mm at Chandigarh and 2.6 mm at Rohtak.
The Met forecast light to moderate rainfall at most of the places in Punjab and Haryana during the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore