Heavy downpour claims five lives in Punjab
Chandigarh: Heavy rains lashed most parts of Punjab on Saturday, leaving five persons dead in Ludhiana and inundating many low lying areas.
Intermittent rainfall in most parts of Punjab and Haryana disrupted normal life with power and water supply being affected at several places, officials said here.
Two brothers were buried alive in Ludhiana after the wall of an old fort collapsed on their house following rains, Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police Sushil Kumar said.
In another incident in Ludhiana, a woman died when the building of her house collapsed in Meharban colony. Three of her family members were seriously injured in the incident.
In another incident, a man was electrocuted when he was wading through knee deep waters in Fieldgunj locality in Ludhiana.
Police said a truck driver was killed when his vehicle laden with iron bars was caught in rain waters on the Ludhiana-Ferozepur road.
Most of the rivers passing through Punjab and Haryana, including Sutlej, Beas, Ravi, Yamuna, Som, Ghaggar and Markanda are flowing in full spate in view of rainfall in catchments areas.
The traffic on the national highway number one at Phagwara had to be diverted as the road was submerged in deep water.
While Ludhiana received 107.4 mm of rainfall, Amritsar was drenched by 84 mm of rains, the Met office said here.
Among other places, Patiala was pounded by 22.9 mm of rainfall followed by 4.3 mm at Chandigarh and 2.6 mm at Rohtak.
The Met forecast light to moderate rainfall at most of the places in Punjab and Haryana during the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India