Himachal rivers in spate, may spell trouble for Punjab, Haryana
Shimla: Moderate to heavy rainfall in Himachal Pradesh since early Wednesday may aggravate the flood-like situation in neighbouring Punjab and Haryana as most rivers running downstream from the hills are in spate again, officials here said.
"The water level in the Beas and Satluj rivers has increased abnormally due to continuous rainfall in their catchment areas. But the rivers are still flowing below the danger mark," Kullu Deputy Commissioner B.M. Nanta told IANS.
He said over the telephone that the Satluj, which also passes through Kullu district, is more in spate due to heavy rainfall in Kinnaur and Shimla.
The Chandigarh-Manali National Highway 21 that runs along the Beas river in some areas in Mandi and Kullu districts was also damaged by the river water at several points.
The water level in the Yamuna river that meanders through Shimla and Sirmaur districts before entering Haryana has also increased.
The weather bureau in Shimla said most of the areas in the state, particularly Shimla, Solan, Kinnaur, Kullu, Sirmaur and Mandi districts, have been experiencing moderate to heavy rainfall.
Shimla got 81.7 mm of rain Wednesday morning, Bhuntar in Kullu district 21.6 mm, Solan town 39 mm, Nahan town in Sirmaur district 15.2 mm and Sundernagar in Mandi district 11.1 mm.
Met office director Manmohan Singh said there are chances of heavy to very heavy rainfall at isolated places in the state throughout Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling